Saturday, February 2, 2019

Polar Vortex – But What About Our Feathered Friends



I am from Florida, so I don’t really get these kind of cold temperatures that I am reading about on the news.

My wife on the other hand she is from Detroit, so she knows what below freezing temperatures are like.

Last week when she read about the crazy cold weather that was going to hit the Mid-West, she said that they were predicting “life threatening wind shields of minus fifty degrees”. All I was able to say was “WHAT!”.

But what about the birds right? I mean not all birds fly south for the winter.

So I read this article on the Fox News website all about how the birds are able to survive such crazy cold temperatures.

I could pretty much summarize it into three ways that birds survive intense cold.
1- They ruffle their feathers which increases insulation
2- They store extra food and increase their metabolism in order to create extra heat
3- Their legs are just specially designed for it 

Its not very long so if you are interested here is the link.   

If you ask me, I am ready for the summer, the beach and the warm weather.

Happy Super Bowl Sunday every one

No comments:
Post a Comment